Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A BRIEF PERSONAL TESTIMONY
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

A BRIEF PERSONAL TESTIMONY

May 8, 2019, 6:31 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAjHlxuPmG8

In May of 2011, I made my exit from the Marine Corps. After 10 years of service, I was no longer medically fit for re-enlistment. Too many combat related injuries prevented me from seeing a 20 year career and I was crushed. I had just suffered the death of my mother who committed suicide in March of 2009, and my 1st wife had left and divorced me. The divorce was final in October of 2009. In fact, my mother died, my wife left, and my house burned down in March of 2009. The stock market crashed and I lost everything. I know, it sounds like a horrible country music song.

This all happened while I was deployed to the Helmand Province of Afghanistan with 3rd Battalion 8th Marines. That was a rough deployment in itself. I re-enlisted for a 2 year contract because I wasn't sure I wanted to remain in the Corps at the time. I ended back up in Hawaii with 3rd Battalion 3rd Marines again. I did my fourth and final deployment with 3rd Bn 3rd Mar and made my exit from the Marine Corps with a broken heart, broken mind, and a broken spirit. I didn't know what I was going to do with myself. I had remarried to my second wife, (MISTAKE!) and we moved to Greenville, SC. I began college and couldn't find a job. She ended up leaving me in August of 2011 for an old man with money. I was kicked out of the apartment and was homeless. I lived in my storage unit where I stole WIFI and electricity from The Blind-Horse Saloon. Nobody at my college knew that I was homeless. No shelter had room, and I was in a bad spot. I had a car payment, cellphone bill, and a NOTEBOOK WIFI payment to make every month on top of the storage unit fee. The $1100 was well spent by the time everything was paid. I barely had money to afford food. Speaking of which, I actually had to eat dry dog food left over from my dog that the ex-wife took from me. Times were hard.

On September 17th, I decided to end my own life. I cleaned my personal M-4 AR and left a note with a Will and Last Testament along with burial rights in a power of attorney for an old school Marine that I served with. I had said my prayers and asked God to forgive me for everything I had ever done. I was ready to check out forever.

Then I heard a crazy man ranting on the laptop on ESPN. He was ranting about ending a 17 game winning streak in Death Valley South Carolina. That man was Dabo Swinney. Let me rewind time a bit. I was born a Clemson fan. I grew up watching every game with my grandfather. A graduate football player from the Class of 1950. He played for Frank Howard and has his footprints at Tillman Hall. When I joined the Corps, I was too busy to watch the games and my operational tempo just didn't allow for me to follow Tiger Football. Anyway, back to the testimony. With gun in my mouth and the courage to pull the trigger, I stopped at the very last second. It was Dabo Swinney who drew my curiosity to the point where I wanted to watch the game that I had just missed. So, I grabbed the NOTEBOOK/Laptop and watched the re-run on ESPN. What a game.... From that day forward, I had lived my life for about two years from Saturday to Saturday waiting for the next game. During the offseason I would watch re-runs or random Clemson games from the past on YouTube. It became therapeutic for me.

The result, in November of 2011 I checked myself into the VA and started receiving counseling for Combat Related Issues. Then my clearance was reactivated in January of 2012. I deployed with Academi aka formerly Blackwater... In 2013, I actually scored Clemson Season Tickets and a Parking Pass... Oh, and I dropped out of college to redeploy. I found my calling in life and I haven't looked back since. I still feel the sting of loss and survivor's guilt on occasions, but in all I'm doing much better today. Trust the process, because you will never know how the story ends if you end your own life. There's only one author to your life, and it isn't you. It's your creator and he holds the keys to your tomorrow for better or for worse. I've since been on 9 more contracts and the rest is history. I've started my own contracting firm because I'm getting too old to be running around with heavy body armor and guns. I want to give the younger guys who come home in search of gainful employment an opportunity to earn some real money. I'm just getting started and so far I have some huge potential opportunities if they pan out right.

One day when I have the money, I will approach Dabo and Kathy and make a donation to their foundation and share my testimony with the man himself. I am still alive today because some rambunctious man in the middle of Death Valley was hooting and hollering about Clemson Football and it distracted my mind enough to reconsider my choices. I know that this story may sound weird to some, but it's my testimony. Thought I would share it with Clemson faithful.

GO TIGERS!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Great story Travis

May 8, 2019, 7:01 PM

Glad you got it together before it was too late.

Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for sharing that!

May 8, 2019, 7:22 PM

Glad to see you made it through the worst of the worst times & are enjoying life again. Also, thanks for your service. It is not unappreciated.

“To See a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.” WB

Listen man,

May 8, 2019, 7:29 PM

I appreciate the story and all that, but you’ve been around long enough to be familiar with the rules. Post tiddies or get the #### out. You’re still alive and I’m glad. I’m sure it’s for some purpose and maybe the real purpose of that is so that you can post some tiddies for us Joungers. Not just any tiddies either. I mean some big ole juicy jugs. Or maybe some small tight perfectly symmetrical #####. Honestly, we aren’t that picky, OSF actually prefers moobs. But the one thing we do demand, is post them tiddies, soldier.

Make a Jounge Great Again!

Thanks for sharing. I must be honest and say that I’m typically skeptical of stories on the interwebs, including Tnet. I’ve been posting on Tnet for a few years now and try to post as honestly as possible, with some occasional exaggeration for story telling purposes of course, typically to convey real emotion. Many that post here in this forum post with a decent amount of honesty, I believe. I’m probably a jerk for bringing this up, but I’ve experienced too many untruths to give a crap. It seems you are interested in sharing your story with Dabo and others obviously. This of course sets off my inner jerk. But in the end, I hope that the truth comes through and helps those that can use it without too much exaggeration. Again my friend, thanks for sharing. But please post tiddies post haste.

Re: A teaching moment for 7spots.....never call a Marine....

May 8, 2019, 7:38 PM

Soldier.

Why? Cause they had to ask the Navy for permission first?

May 8, 2019, 7:47 PM

soldier noun
sol·?dier | \ ?s?l-j?r \
Definition of soldier (Entry 1 of 2)
1a : one engaged in military service and especially in the army
b : an enlisted man or woman
c : a skilled warrior

army noun
ar·?my | \ ?är-m? \
plural armies
Definition of army
1a : a large organized body of armed personnel trained for war especially on land
b : a unit capable of independent action and consisting usually of a headquarters, two or more corps, and auxiliary troops
c often capitalized : the complete military organization of a nation for land warfare

Honestly soldier is in reference to the army of soldiers bringing us the tiddies. But I do appreciate the teaching moment.

Re: Why? Cause they had to ask the Navy for permission first?

May 8, 2019, 8:00 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Boooooooo! Boooooooooo!

May 8, 2019, 8:11 PM

JK of course.

I’m not real keen on discrediting one’s contribution over another’s. But I do understand personal pride. And I’m ride or die with all you fellas.

Right! I called my friend Recon a .........

May 8, 2019, 7:50 PM [ in reply to Re: A teaching moment for 7spots.....never call a Marine.... ]

ex-Marine once and the next thing I know I'm getting judo moves etc and laying on the ground.

I learned a lesson that day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow! Thanks for sharing.

May 8, 2019, 7:39 PM

Glad you decided to stick around and hang out with us!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I was speechless when I read this.

May 8, 2019, 7:46 PM

I am grateful to you for your service and so glad you found a reason to not take your own life.

Your story is one I am sure Dabo would find inspiring.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WOW is all I got! Hang in there! ******

May 8, 2019, 7:51 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m sure you’re eligible for Post 911 GI Bill. Try and go

May 8, 2019, 8:28 PM

back to school. It’s by far the best GI Bill ever. 100% tuition paid. Great housing allowance. It’s between $1500 and $2000 a month in most areas. You also get $1000 a year for books. You’re probably also eligible for College Work Study.
Plus, there are student loans, but be careful there. Tmale me if you have any questions about the details.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I’m sure you’re eligible for Post 911 GI Bill. Try and go

May 8, 2019, 8:59 PM

I would, but I'm too busy... I stay deployed to places with no internet.. When I'm home I'm traveling on business to build my own firm. I have plenty of smart guys that are helping me out too. I may have one more for Business Development that reached out on here! HUGE PIECE TO THE PUZZLE> I'M GLAD HE'S A TIGER TOO!> HECK YEAH!

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller

My inner jerk is literally punching my guts right now!

May 8, 2019, 9:04 PM

JoeG reached out and you waltzed. Why?

Oh, stay deployed? I thought you were out.

May 8, 2019, 9:21 PM [ in reply to Re: I’m sure you’re eligible for Post 911 GI Bill. Try and go ]

Deployed as a reservist?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i think in there somewhere he was private contracting

May 8, 2019, 9:25 PM

saw a blackwater in there somewhere

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like a Jason Bourne company

May 8, 2019, 9:28 PM

https://www.academi.com/

Re: Oh, stay deployed? I thought you were out.

May 8, 2019, 9:31 PM [ in reply to Oh, stay deployed? I thought you were out. ]

As a contractor... I contract myself out to the government and other private interest to provide security and other services. My services range from logistical management and asset protection in the Oil Fields of Basrah, to providing Diplomatic Security for dignitaries in the State Department and Department of Defense. I also do FSR work for Defense Satellite Communications programs through DISA. I'm a man with many hats. Unless college is going to put a 6 figure income in my pockets, I'd rather stay the course and continue to build my resume. After all, terrorism and tyranny will always exist and I will always have job security.

~Chesty Puller

I’ve always wanted to be a private contractor for Budweiser.

May 8, 2019, 9:38 PM

My services range from logistical placement of cold drinks at a party to oil fields in my underwear. I’m a man with many drinks. Unless college is going to put 6 fingers of tequila in my glass, I’d rather stay the course and build my bourbon collection. After all, cold beers aren’t going to drink themselves!

Re: I’ve always wanted to be a private contractor for Budweiser.

May 9, 2019, 6:43 AM

You sound like one of my partners who actually at this very moment is in Dubai negotiating a security agreement for an oil pipeline security project. I'll bet you're a lot of fun at Clemson games. We'll have to meet up one day. You sound like my kind of people.

~Chesty Puller

Well ####!

May 8, 2019, 10:00 PM

Not what I was expecting to come in here and read, but I'm glad I did. Congrats to you for getting back on track. Thank you for your service and continued service. Good luck with your endeavors.

Ever heard of True Patriot? Just wondering. Good group from what I've seen. I've enjoyed spending a little time with them.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Remember that night we spoke on the phone?

May 8, 2019, 10:21 PM

You moved to the top of my prayer list until some lost soul came along and bumped you down a notch. Since then you've moved off my list. I reckon I figured if God kept moving people it all must have been design and not some random choice for Him and that is how I roll.

I'm glad you shared all that. I defended you with vigor several times while you were away and busy healing and maturing in the Lord but I didn't feel at liberty to share your story like you have here. I can see why now, I could never have told it like you have here, my friend.

Best of everything to you and your concerns.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Remember that night we spoke on the phone?

May 9, 2019, 6:48 AM

You and many others prayed for me. I barely made it, but by the grace of The Lord I did make it. With my combat experiences alone, I should be dead 10 times over. However, I'm still here to the pleasure of some and disappointment to others. Another lesson that I learned is that one should always try to be an ambassador to others because you never know when a single moment on a football field or anywhere else for that matter will be the changing moment of influence for someone else. Fact is, Dabo doesn't even realize what happened that day. He may never know the full impact he's had on those whom have come in contact with him or have merely watched him on television. Yet, he does it for God's glory and he truly serves the hearts of others instead of their talents. To think, I would have missed all of this had I followed through with my flawed plan.

~Chesty Puller

Re: A BRIEF PERSONAL TESTIMONY

May 9, 2019, 6:00 AM

Glad you made it Chesty. That was an inspirational post to start the day. Thanks for sharing.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic