Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What is the single most memorable play, that you have seen,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 54
| visibility 1

What is the single most memorable play, that you have seen,

Apr 20, 2019, 10:23 AM

in the history of Clemson Football? In your opinion!

*I have many, but, Renfrow's catch at the end of regulation, to win the 2016 National Championship, would have to be mine!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What is the single most memorable play, that you have seen,

Apr 20, 2019, 10:27 AM

I think it is same for just about everyone. Hard to to top that. Other than that, I would go Rod Gardner's catch.

Apr 21, 2019, 12:02 AM

Thanks for reminding me of Gardner's catch. During that play I was sitting in the icy weather in the stands with my head in my hands when all of a sudden I feel everyone leap to their feet and then hear a deafening roar. I jumped up and started celebrating something I didn't even see.

Perry Tuttle's catch - 1st CU player on cover of SI ***

Apr 20, 2019, 10:31 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 20, 2019, 10:32 AM

I agree, but Tajh to DHOP was great too.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 20, 2019, 10:38 AM

Ditto Renfrow’s catch but I’d have to say that entire series leading up to it as a seamless and stunning movement downfield with time running out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CJ Spiller, GT 2006 hands down

Apr 20, 2019, 10:39 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFIT-3gcAR8

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: CJ Spiller, GT 2006 hands down

Apr 20, 2019, 11:36 AM

This is what immediately came to my mind too

Apr 20, 2019, 3:16 PM [ in reply to CJ Spiller, GT 2006 hands down ]

I saw this play in person so it probably ranks as my top play too. And CJ definitely got our program started in the direction we’ve been heading. However, our rise to where we currently sit as a program really does seem to have started on the 4th and 16 from Tajh to Hopkins. So it’s a tough call.

Apr 20, 2019, 9:29 PM [ in reply to CJ Spiller, GT 2006 hands down ]

That thar is what you call purple lightening .

Renfrow = 1. Butler “the catch” = 2.

Apr 20, 2019, 10:40 AM

Nm

Yeah, me too on this without a doubt.***

Apr 20, 2019, 12:11 PM

#4 to #13 with 0:01 to go. Easy.***

Apr 20, 2019, 10:45 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Apr 20, 2019, 10:48 AM

This play was memorable as it jump started Clemson Football for years to come.There was lots of lean years before the 1977 season and this famous catch from Steve Fuller to Jerry Butler was the start of what was yet to come down the road...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC5x2zzT58g

This one play was indeed the genesis of it all! We had

Apr 20, 2019, 10:59 AM

... we had already accepted a bid to the Gator Bowl and we had run out to a big lead in this game, but we almost let it slip away. The bowl game and really the whole season would have been hollow if Butler doesn’t snag that ball.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This one play was indeed the genesis of it all! We had

Apr 20, 2019, 11:12 AM

I remember South Carolina being so confident that they would win that night that they had t-shirts made up that said NO CIGAR TODAY.That was something Charlie Pell started that season after big wins.When South Carolina score to go up 27-24 late in the 4th qtr. they took their jerseys off on the sidelines and I remember being in Williams Brice that night and seeing that and then seeing the drive and catch to win it for the Tigers was like a sweet slap in the face for those son of b*****s

Apr 20, 2019, 11:08 AM

For me it is situational.

1) Justyn Ross's catch on the sideline for the NCG. Maybe because it is recent, but I was there and everybody looked up to the replay board to see if what we just thought we saw really happened.

2) Rod Gardner's catch against USuC. I was watching with my ex inlaws who were primarily USuC fans. I'm still surprised that we didn't come to blows.

3)Patrick Sapp interception in the 1993 Peach Bowl. Instead of downing it in the endzone, the Kentucky player tried to run it out and fumbled. I was there with friends and one friend put his head down after the interception. It took him a minute to figure out why the rest of us were jumping around turning over our beers.

Nearly all of my more vivid memories, were where I was at the game or watching it with a large group. Many of them probably do not reach the same level with others, but that is what makes being there so special.

Jamie Harper's fumble against Bama

Apr 20, 2019, 11:20 AM

It started an immediate downward spiral that eventually got XCTB (a good Christian man) fired, Dabo hired and 2 national championships against that same team. Jamie Harper deserves 2 natty rings for that fumble.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Derrick Hamilton TD on a kickoff return

Apr 20, 2019, 11:23 AM

against GT around 2003. He crossed the field 2 or 3 times. Rainy, rainy day but great win!

That was 02 and it wasn't a KO, it was from scrimmage,

Apr 20, 2019, 1:13 PM

but it was a great run

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 20, 2019, 12:03 PM

1. #4 to #13
2. Spiller double juke move on GT
3. Terrell pick six vs. Bama (that set the tempo and put a hole in their sail)
4. 4th and 16
5. JRoss breaking Bama ankles in the Natty.
6. Watson to Leggett to set up #1
7. Etienne's long TD run on first play against Pitt
8. Etienne's 1st TD run against Bama in the Natty
9. Trevor's long TD bomb against TAMU.
10. Trevor to Tee Higgins to put the nail in the coffin against Bama.

DW to Leggett! So underrated!

Apr 20, 2019, 7:06 PM

First of all it was an amazing catch by Jordan. And secondly if he doesn't make that catch we likely have to settle for a FG. It's one of my favorite plays too.

Apr 20, 2019, 12:04 PM

So glad I got to be there for the 4-13 catch with my oldest daughter. Will never top that for me. #2 in person would be the fake punt pass to CW against Oklahoma in CFP Orange Bowl. Turning point in game. Blessed to have seen a bunch of them.

Apr 20, 2019, 1:04 PM

I don’t remember exactly what year it was,but the safety against UGA was very sweet!!!

Apr 20, 2019, 2:00 PM

1987. Was there for that one too. Good one.

Puntrooskie,unfortunately

Apr 20, 2019, 1:07 PM

But we’re paying the Noles back for that BIG TIME these days!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Woody vs Ga Tech most memorable series of plays in a game.***

Apr 20, 2019, 1:36 PM

That scramble TD as the 1st half expired***

Apr 20, 2019, 2:47 PM

Apr 20, 2019, 1:42 PM

Renfrow catch number one. Justin Ross catch number two. I have had them both as my Facebook home page photo.

Apr 20, 2019, 1:45 PM

Spiller kickoff return right before half at Miami was pretty good. Was at that game.

Apr 20, 2019, 1:47 PM

I was lucky to be in the "team tix" lower deck section of the corner endzone right where Renfrow caught the DW4 pass in Tampa, so nothing will ever top that for me.

But other than that, the Whitehurst to Hamilton pass that went the length of the field against FSU in 2003 and opened that game wide up (I think it made it 21-3 at that point). Man, DV went wild! We had lost 45-17 to Wake the week before, and FSU was ranked #3. Those were crazy days.

Gaines Adams 2006 vs. Wake Forest...

Apr 20, 2019, 2:28 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpiBMk-qVq8

Turned that game around at the beginning of the 4th quarter.

Mere flim-flam stories and nothing but shams and lies

I've never been present at a bigger momentum swing

Apr 20, 2019, 2:33 PM

It was wet and miserable in the stands as the Tigers were losing and looking genuinely bad. It definitely had the feel of one of those games that at the end you just can't understand how bad the team looked. I can only speak for me and the fans around me, but honestly it felt neigh on hopeless.

And then a single play turned it from "We are losing this game" to "We are going to win this game". And the funny thing is that even after the play we were behind on the scoreboard, but it just became inevitable. We were going to take that momentum and win the game. And 30 seconds before it was a foregone conclusion we were going to be going home with the L.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is my vote too... it was the first play of the 4th qtr

Apr 20, 2019, 9:46 PM

and the folks I was with agreed that if WF made that FG to go up 20-3, we were calling it a day and heading out. It was a pretty makeable kick so we had our belongings gathered up... and then chaos in the stands ensued! Bam it's now 17-10 and we never looked back as the Tigers ripped off 24 unanswered pts to win 27-17. Best 4th qtr ever!

Apr 20, 2019, 2:39 PM

Chase Brice's pass on 4th down to save our entire season. Without that pass, the CFP Committee would probably have selected some other team (UGA since ESPN was petitioning them so much) to be in the CFP, and CLEMSON would not have won the NC. Chase Brice deserves tons of appreciation for saving CLEMSON. I can't believe nobody mentioned that play, as it might become the CLEMSON play of the decade akin to Renfrow's catch from DW4.

Apr 20, 2019, 2:47 PM

So many great ones that have been mentioned... A couple others off the top of my head:

- 3rd Down sack of Kyle Wright in 2005 when we need the ball back against the Canes. Never heard Death Valley erupt like that before. "This part of South Carolina is about to shift!". Absolutely ear-splitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtTGRMv1DmM

- D-Mac pick of Ponder in 2009. Game was most likely in hand-- we were up 9 with a few minutes to play-- but this 100% sealed it and D-Mac let Ponder know that there would be a collision!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21iqhUswEmk

- Tajh to Sammy...TD catch against VT in the ACC CG in 2011 to seal it and his catch, truck, and TD against Georgia in 2013.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oikuIWkB0jg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY216CWc1hM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Even though it wasn't a meaningful play

Apr 20, 2019, 2:56 PM

Mitch Tyner's 81 yd. punt was definitely memorable. Underwood's interceptions, particularly the first one, deserve mention.

Apr 20, 2019, 3:12 PM

all good ones, but i am torn between...

Leggett stretching out for catch in National Championship Game

Renfrow twisting catch vs Syracuse (2018)

Jamie Harper's diving TD catch vs Auburn

Cliff Hammonds dunk in Littlejohn vs #6 UNC and over Danny Green (snuck some basketball love in a football post)

2009 McDaniel interception vs FSU and plowing thru their QB

Ross one handed grab

Apr 20, 2019, 3:30 PM

It wasn't really a 'play' but we were in the stands at the 1978 Gator Bowl and it was certainly memorable when Woody Hayes punched Charlie Bauman.

+1 for Renfrow vs Syracuse

Apr 20, 2019, 8:17 PM [ in reply to Re: What is the single most memorable play, that you have seen, ]

That gets overlooked, but without that play, Brice’s big play later in the game means nothing, probably. Both great plays, and either one not happening probably made that game a loss.

Apr 20, 2019, 7:03 PM

# 1 THE CATCH

1974 vs G-Tech (I think) time running out in 1st half. We had the ball on our own 10 yrd-ish, and ran it up the middle 1st & 2nd down. Everyone was in tight, except for one WR on the right boundary facing one DB. We were desperately trying to get a 1st down and run out the clock, and tech was stacking the line.

Our WR hit the DB on 1st and 2nd down, and the DB was well prepared to lay out our WR on 3rd down. Only our WR blew past him for an easy 90-ish yard TD. As an out of state freshman it was 1st game at Death Valley. Electric.

If I've disremembered, please help me out. Mark Fellers to ?? we didn't score have very many TD passes back then ( guessing 10-ish for the season).

Apr 20, 2019, 7:13 PM

great catches:

Mike Williams in the natty
Tee against ND
Ross in Natty
Rod Gardner against coots
Jerry Butler the catch
Renfrow was not an acrobatic catch but it had so much importance

Hate to be that guy, but I Puntrooskie happened

Apr 20, 2019, 7:28 PM

Right in front of me. I will never forget that play.

That said, I agree with the final drive (whole thing) in Tampa. The moment for me was afterward, when I stood in the endzone, basking in the glow with my 14 year old daughter. A million dollar memory.

Re: Hate to be that guy, but I Puntrooskie happened

Apr 20, 2019, 7:41 PM

I was probably standing near you in 1988. The joy...the confusion...the pain.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 20, 2019, 7:33 PM

NUKE'S 4&16 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

95 at Carolina...Emory Smith dragging mofos

Apr 20, 2019, 8:21 PM

For 25 yards down to the 5 yard line right in front of Clemson fans in that end zone. Beautiful.

Apr 20, 2019, 11:26 PM

Lespaw79 said:

*I have many, but, Renfrow's catch at the end of regulation, to win the 2016 National Championship, would have to be mine!

This x 1,000

Apr 21, 2019, 9:09 AM

There were a lot of good plays, but The JUDGES stop on 4th down in 1981 with UNC driving for a winning score at the end of the game, was pretty big for that national championship year.

Apr 20, 2019, 11:28 PM

Lespaw79 said:

This x 1,000.

Although Charlie Baughman's pick that led to the Woody Hates punch was pretty memorable, too.

I agree with renfrow’s catch to win the championship.

Apr 20, 2019, 11:58 PM

Hopkins 4th and 16 catch was awesome and I also liked Gardner’s 40+ yard catch to set up the game winning field goal to beat the coots.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 21, 2019, 2:52 AM

You guys have covered just about all of mine. The only one that hasn't been mentioned is Mike Williams carrying the Gamecock eight yards, second touchdown in this video.

<###### width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/#####/x9iK6x6RqVs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen>

Watson to Leggett in NCG makes the 4-13 possible. I was sweating it prior to that pass but I felt very confident we would win after that.

Brice on 4th down wins the title for us last year.

Boyd to Nuk on 4th and 16 really did turn us into a program of world beaters. Made us believe we could beat anybody when in days past I'd worry about facing Kentucky in a bowl game.

boulware and co. Stopping ND

Apr 21, 2019, 10:59 AM

Imo the turning point from good to elite

Apr 21, 2019, 12:01 PM

What about the play where Dabo let the world know Clemson football was going in a new direction under new leadership. We had no idea at the time, but when Zimmerman came to the sideline with his head hung after a shanked punt in Dabo's first game and Dabo made him go back on the field and run off like a man, that was the first step in returning Clemson football to greatness.

Apr 21, 2019, 12:10 PM

2 pt stop against ND.
Sammy slant against UGA.

Wow. Long list. Watson to Renfrow. The Catch II. Spiller

Apr 21, 2019, 1:27 PM

double-juke TD against Ga Tech. Boyd to Nuke on 4th and 16. Lot's of the catches in the 16 and 18 championship games. All the long TD runs in 18. Too many to name! I have been very fortunate to see so many great Clemson plays in person.

Replies: 54
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic