Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Meat Eaters of the Jounge unite
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Meat Eaters of the Jounge unite

Nov 9, 2018, 6:01 PM

And tell me why I should spend $699 (after manufacturers rebate) on this:

https://www.costco.com/Louisiana-Grills-900-Pellet-Grill-with-Smoke-Box.product.100386742.html

Anybody know anything about these? Estate sale acquired POS charcoal smoker has caused enough anguish in my life, I need something I'm gonna enjoy using (Re: monitor every hour or so, not every 10 minutes).

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Meat Eaters of the Jounge unite

Nov 9, 2018, 6:03 PM

I'm partial to pan-searing steaks and chicken and cooking seafood.

I leave the BBQ to you old people :)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just buy pulled pork from local bbq place by the pound.

Nov 9, 2018, 6:11 PM

And use a grill for burgers and chicken only these days.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I just buy pulled pork from local bbq place by the pound.

Nov 9, 2018, 6:14 PM

I learned how to sear a steak rather than grilling it and my life has never been the same.

I use the grill pretty much exclusively for wings (after I bake them), and as you say, burgers. Some shish kabobs too.

There's something bought steak over charcoal though!***

Nov 9, 2018, 6:18 PM

Maybe a ribeye.

Nov 9, 2018, 6:20 PM

maybe

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah. A big ole fatty ribeye.

Nov 9, 2018, 6:21 PM

Yum!

I like the flavor the of beef.

Nov 9, 2018, 6:29 PM

That's why I'm a New York strip man. Charcoal and grilling in general obscure the flavor for me.

Sear in a cast iron pan with a couple of cloves of garlic (don't crush 'em...the garlic will overpower the beef)...a coarsely chopped shallot and some thyme or rosemary. 3 minutes on each side. Put in the oven for 8 minutes at 400 degrees.

Perfect mid-rare every time.

I've tried Alton Browns cast iron skillet sear and its good too.

Nov 9, 2018, 6:33 PM

30 seconds on each side in a preheated skillet and 2 minutes each side in a 500* oven.

But basting with butter and herbs would probably taste great. I may try yours when I can afford beef again.

I'm a filet man myself.

Nov 9, 2018, 6:35 PM [ in reply to I like the flavor the of beef. ]

Goes best with $20 4 pack hazy ipas.

You rich sumbich.***

Nov 9, 2018, 6:37 PM

I'm UDP af.***

Nov 9, 2018, 6:40 PM

I'll eat it on the company dime, but not worth the money

Nov 9, 2018, 6:39 PM [ in reply to I'm a filet man myself. ]

when I'm craving beef. I'll buy a thick cut sirloin and pound it with the meat mallet before I'll shell out cash for a filet. Or buy a Tbone and just get a taste of it. Not worth the price a la carte. We aint all rich like you, bruh.

Gots T-bones for pre-game meal tomorrow.***

Nov 9, 2018, 7:52 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The cast iron method is great

Nov 9, 2018, 8:12 PM [ in reply to I like the flavor the of beef. ]

In regards to your below post, the meltiness of the filet with minimal fat is hard to deny as most delicious.

last few times we've had beef, it's been filets in cast iron

Nov 9, 2018, 8:17 PM

maybe ribeyes once or twice. We don't eat steaks too often anymore. I prefer ribeyes, but didn't see good ones when shopping, and Sam's usually has nice looking filets here. Sear that good in cast iron, that's some good eatin'. Probably do the T-bones tomorrow night on the grill, because they're large.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm telling you fam

Nov 9, 2018, 8:19 PM [ in reply to The cast iron method is great ]

I filet was the same price as strip or top sirloin, I don't know if I would buy it.

I've never gotten it. I feel like it's beef for people who don't actually like beef. It tastes great, but doesn't satisfy my primal urge to sink my teeth into a cow.

Tenderloin is amazing texturally. But flavor wise...

Nov 9, 2018, 8:45 PM

It’s like paying more than double for a NY strip and lacks some of the flavor. I love ribeyes personally cause fat is flavor. If you want a cheap steak with a ton of flavor, buy “chuck eye steak”. (Not chuck steak! Chuck Eye Steak) You can find it for about $5 a lb for choice beef and it’s as good as a ribeye in my opinion.

8lb Bhastun butt. Large crock pot.

Nov 9, 2018, 7:42 PM [ in reply to I just buy pulled pork from local bbq place by the pound. ]

Cut yellow onion into 8ths. Put petals across bottom. Trim pork and put in crock pot. Cut another onion for sides and 3rd onion on top. Plug in. Close lid. Cut on low. Go to sleep. Wake up 8am. Done.

Extract pork. Add mustard or vinegar sauce. Pull apart with forks/mix. Serve.

Tml

Abt $20 with sauce. Feeds 10.

It ain't like pit cooked bbq, but its darn good for being so easy to make.

Message was edited by: Tiggity®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Easy to make.

Nov 10, 2018, 10:52 AM

Yep. Used to do this a lot. Until I bought a smoker. And any butt I have smoked myself beats any Que I have ever had at a restaurant. But I love to smoke meats.

Chicken, turkey, ribs, beef, I even make my own jerky on my smoker.

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If it's just a standard electric/pellet fueled grill...

Nov 9, 2018, 6:16 PM

Then you can probably only use it as a smoker.
I've never used a pellet smoker, but a buddy of mine really likes how easy it is to control temps and smoke, with it's self feeding settings. But it doesn't get a grill hot enough to quick sear meats like a steak, burgers, or chicken. So unless I'm missing something in the description, it probably won't work well as an all around grill.

I’ve already got the grill.

Nov 9, 2018, 7:37 PM

Just need the smoker.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

stop playing around and get a good Kamado.***

Nov 9, 2018, 7:41 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought about it.

Nov 9, 2018, 8:08 PM

But again, leery of the wild fluctuations of charcoal and having to babysit the thing all day.

You can master lump, briquettes, or even hardwood with a decent grill and some practice.

Nov 9, 2018, 8:17 PM

But the friend I was talking about smoked for years on a standard side by side barrel smoker/grill. He loves his pellet smoker. It makes a good product but is limited due to electricity. He said at first he felt like he was cheating but that he was getting too lazy to make barbecue the old way. I think the coolest thing he can do is set up his meat with a thermometer and leave the house for hours.

Re: Meat Eaters of the Jounge unite

Nov 9, 2018, 8:16 PM

I just want a pizza slap slammed wif some meat. Pepperoni, sausage, ham, beef and some bacon. We have a local place that does a great meat lovers. Will have to get one tomorrow night for the game.

Thanks for the reminder.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You’re welcome.

Nov 9, 2018, 8:31 PM

And thank YOU for the fine contribution to the question at hand, good sir.

Re: You’re welcome.

Nov 9, 2018, 8:34 PM

Yeah. I have no clue on grilling. I must admit. I just throw meat on a gas grill and that’s about it. I just don’t really care. I would rather hit a legit steak restaurant and “pay as I go” than worry about all that mess

Don’t get me wrong I think it’s cool. I just haven’t made it a priority or cared enough. My bad and I admit it. My tampons are in the center console. ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Been a pellet guy for about 10 years

Nov 9, 2018, 10:57 PM

easy to use and does a great job, imo. Some wood guys think it is light on smoke flavor, personally I like that.

This is entry level unit - which is similar to what I have owned. I am ready to move away from UDP pellet grill as next summer when I RETIRE. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting.

Nov 10, 2018, 1:22 AM

Know anything about the brand? I just can’t justify spending over a grand...I won’t be doing the high volume of cooking to need it.

The number of brands has grown exponentially.

Nov 27, 2013, 10:47 AM

The type of controller is what to watch out for.

See https://amazingribs.com/ - he reviews a lot of grills but also will give you some good info.

There is a FB page on pellet grills also, but everyone there thinks their own grill is the best ever and all others are a POS. Worthless info, in other words.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic