Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
8 team playoff
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

8 team playoff

Dec 12, 2018, 12:30 PM

So....do we think this may really happen? Maybe they tired of the calls from UCF and OSU.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2810445-college-footballs-influential-voices-ready-to-discuss-8-team-playoff-format

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 8 team playoff

Dec 12, 2018, 12:52 PM

6 team makes more sense to me. Make it like one side of the NFL playoffs, #1 and #2 get byes (reward for being 1 and 2), 3 vs 4 and 5 vs 6. 8 is to many to me, and some teams are already playing 15 games maxed. Only way a 8 team playoff may work is to do away with conf title games and make 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5 matchups that way.

Re: 8 team playoff

Dec 12, 2018, 1:40 PM

I get that but I think it provides too big of an advantage for the #1 & 2- which you might say they earned. However, people will decide who will get those seeds instead of some black and white football criteria. Because of that, I'd be against 6 teams.

Why can't 3 and 5 get byes

Dec 12, 2018, 2:11 PM [ in reply to Re: 8 team playoff ]

the NCAA doesn't want to do anything the traditional way.

who saw this coming?

Dec 12, 2018, 1:26 PM

:)

4 is perfect

Dec 12, 2018, 1:27 PM

signed Clemson and Alabama

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t see what the problem with four teams is.

Dec 12, 2018, 1:43 PM

Are good teams going to be left out? Yes, but that will also be the case with 6, 8, 12, or 16 team playoffs too.

Does anyone truly believe that the best team in college football has been left out of the four team playoff so far?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Does anyone really think Team #8 would beat Team #9 on a neutral field?

Dec 12, 2018, 2:35 PM

Especially the way Team #9 has been playing since they lost two in a row. And once you consider the BS metric and POS gauge, its clear that Team #9 should be in over Team #8.

Or else we should go to a sixteen Team playoff to make it fair.

Have GO5 Playoff,

Dec 12, 2018, 1:47 PM

LOL, they're using the GO5 as an excuse to try this. Give the GO5 their own 4 team Playoff.

If the BIG10 ,PAC12 and UGA can't accomplish what they're supposed to accomplish during the season, F THEM!

NFL became a joke when a 9-7 NYG team won the SB, the NBA playoff is a joke, Nascar,with their ever expanding Playoff is a joke.FBS Football is last Sport in which being your best almost every week of the season still means something.

UCF ????? Didn't they tell Clemson that they had to play 10 P5 teams(8 conference plus 2OCC) a season. Why shouldn't little ole UCF have to do the same?

Re: Have GO5 Playoff,

Dec 12, 2018, 2:56 PM

The NFL became a joke after one of the greatest games in Super Bowl history?

You’re the joke pal....

Make no mistake

Dec 12, 2018, 2:09 PM

The only reason this is now a conversation is because the B1G has gotten left out 2 years in a row. They don’t give a rat’s @ss about the G5.

I hope it stays at 4 because there hasn’t been a year where there were more than 4 teams that actually had a chance to win a championship. Ohio State doesn’t want to get left out? Don’t lose to Purdue by a billion. Georgia doesn’t want to get left out? Don’t lose the 2 hardest games on your schedule. Michigan? Don’t crap the bed (again) against your rival. UCF? Play 4 P5 OOC opponents every year and still go undefeated and then we’ll talk.

Re: Make no mistake

Dec 12, 2018, 3:04 PM

“there hasn’t been a year where there were more than 4 teams that actually had a chance to win a championship”

Lol. You have know way of knowing that’s true.

There is way too small a sample size of non conference matchups to accurately choose the best 4 teams out of 130. Who’s the highest ranked team we have proven we’re better than ON THE FIELD?

It’s an asinine system and a beauty contest. A legitimate playoff needs to be established.

Option One...

Dec 12, 2018, 3:16 PM

Option One: Drop conference championship games. Add 9th conference game. Each conference have a system to select the champ. Put Power 5 champs in and have 3 at large teams selected by committee. Committee rates team 1-8.

Option Two: Have 6 team playoff. All 5 power 5 champs who do not lose more than 3 games. If champs do not meet criteria, committee selects at will. One at large for committee to place. Committee ranks teams 1-6 and Teams 1 & 2 get a bye in the first round.

What would not be good is to play conf. championships and then have an 8 team deal where there are repeat match up's from the conf. championship games.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic