Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
3 Defining Moments in Clemson Football History
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

3 Defining Moments in Clemson Football History

Jan 25, 2013, 4:36 PM

1. CJ Spiller - He was a game changer for Clemson. Not only did he bring elite athleticism, he brought confidence to Clemson. He showed that big time recruits can come to a small town in SC and be a superstar and be drafted high in the NFL draft. All I know is that his performance in the ACCCG vs Georgia Tech made him one of the greatest players (if not the best) in Clemson history. He carried Clemson his last two years.

2. Dabo getting Hired - what a high risk move by TDP! We went with a small name instead of a big name and boy did it payoff. The guy is a winner and a motivator and sometimes that is better than a X and Os guy. He confronted the culture at Clemson and made it public it had to change. He had a vision and plan and god-willing my kids will know Dabo as Clemson's coach when they are in their teens.

3. Orange Bowl Loss - yeah, it sucked at the time, but what better motivation for a group of talented guys. What path did WVU take? I wouldn't trade programs with WVU for anything. Clemson didn't get bitter, they got better. You come to appreciate the wins more after something like that.

Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you have to mean in your lifetime don t you?

Jan 25, 2013, 4:42 PM

not Clemson history. these are probably not in the current top 25. although we all hope the dabo hire moves up the list because of multiple national championships

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Re: you have to mean in your lifetime don t you?

Jan 25, 2013, 4:48 PM

I am interested to hear your top 25. Besides the 70s and 80s, I don't see much else. Maybe the environment is different because college football is so much bigger now.

I know in my top 25 I would have Frank Howard, Danny Ford, and winning a NC as having just as much impact. Unfortunately, being in my early 30s I don't have much of a reference.

Re: you have to mean in your lifetime don t you?

Jan 25, 2013, 4:51 PM [ in reply to you have to mean in your lifetime don t you? ]

I see what your saying though, but what I listed isn't the top 3, but like you said. Looking back in 20 years, I feel like they will have a great impact on where the program ends up.

I gotcha.

Jan 25, 2013, 5:28 PM

I read it as the 3 most defining moments instead of just 3 defining moments. yes i definitely agree with you on the reread. my bad.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

If you are doing short term and you are going to count CJ,

Jan 25, 2013, 5:32 PM [ in reply to Re: you have to mean in your lifetime don t you? ]

which I agree, you have to count JD. Because, without him, I don't think there would have been a CJ. JD was the first BIG TIME commit we had in a long,long time.

Re: If you are doing short term and you are going to count CJ,

Jan 25, 2013, 6:20 PM

Great point.

He never said "most"***

Jan 26, 2013, 10:38 AM [ in reply to you have to mean in your lifetime don t you? ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

In my lifetime..Beating Ohio St. In the Gator Bowl

Jan 25, 2013, 4:44 PM

And beating Nebraska in the Orange Bowl

Probably for me too. Beating the Buckeyes showed that we

Jan 25, 2013, 5:01 PM

could not only play with the big boys, but we could beat them. It was the beginning of big-time football for Clemson.

Beating Nebraska and finishing as National Champion? It really doesn't get any better than that.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Probably for me too. Beating the Buckeyes showed that we

Jan 25, 2013, 6:48 PM

And it showed Clemson Tigers could take a punch, too!

Or that Woody was far past his prime. I just wish

Jan 25, 2013, 7:07 PM

(everything being the same, with us still winning the game) Woody would've gotten laid out after he hit him. Might be a tad redneck of me to want to see it, but I would've liked to have shown everyone Tigers can throw a punch as well. Woody's actions were about as white trashy as it gets. Yes, it was classier to just walk away, but if anyone ever deserved to be punched in the face, it was Woody Hayes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

beating ou in the citrus bowl

Jan 25, 2013, 4:47 PM

Was sweet as hell...and the was switzer and his thug players acted about it was priceless.

Re: 3 Defining Moments in Clemson Football History

Jan 25, 2013, 5:10 PM

1.Charley Pell hired as H.C.
2.Danny Ford becoming head coach.
3.Winning the National Championship.
As an old timer, whether you liked Charley or not, I think he was responsible for putting Clemson back on the map. Danny kept it going.

Jan 25, 2013, 6:54 PM

I agree with you. Charlie picked the program up! He just never saw a rule that he didn't think should be broken.

Jan 26, 2013, 8:42 AM [ in reply to Re: 3 Defining Moments in Clemson Football History ]

If you are going old school you need to give Red Parker credit for recruiting a good portion of the payers that won the orange bowl 1-1-82.

In my lifetime

Jan 25, 2013, 6:05 PM

1- winning national title. Nothing else compares
2- signing CJ
3- hiring Charlie Pell. This is where it all started
4- for Dabo, time will tell

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In my lifetime

Jan 25, 2013, 6:22 PM

I was 3 and living in Florida at the time of the National Championship. I would give anything to experience that.

Heisman leaving for Ga Tech has to be the biggest.***

Jan 25, 2013, 7:08 PM

Are you serious?

Jan 25, 2013, 8:02 PM

U gotta be like 16?

Re: Are you serious?

Jan 25, 2013, 8:44 PM

There is no timeline to this list. I am saying these are 3 defining moments in Clemson history. Not THE defining moments, but 3 of them. Jeez!

You can tell you're young.***

Jan 25, 2013, 8:03 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Beating NC State in 1966 (orange shoes game)

Jan 25, 2013, 8:06 PM

63-17
National championship

Might have been 1967

Jan 25, 2013, 8:07 PM

nm

1940 Cotton Bowl, Frank Howard & Danny Ford hirings.***

Jan 25, 2013, 8:59 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am going with that !***

Jan 25, 2013, 9:23 PM

Re: 1940 Cotton Bowl, Clemson v. BC ***

Jan 25, 2013, 10:41 PM [ in reply to 1940 Cotton Bowl, Frank Howard & Danny Ford hirings.*** ]

BC was expected to win.
Final Score 6-3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPA0tJWP5Tc

I agree plank16

Jan 25, 2013, 9:21 PM

No matter if the old timers wanna admit it or not the three moments you named are 3 of the biggest moments in our history. I am only 27 so i dont remember the National Title or Danny Ford all that much but i would say those two are pretty big as well. Without the title or Coach Ford it would be alot harder for Dabo to use our tradition of excellence on the recruiting trail. Now i could be wrong but i think the way we beat LSU is gonna pay dividends for us..but that remains to be seen

Giving Danny Ford a chance

Jan 25, 2013, 9:28 PM

Homer Jordan giving his all in Miami.

and losing Danny Ford.

I think that defines key moments in modern Clemson football history.

Giving Dabo that same chance is a pretty good fourth.

Jan 25, 2013, 10:27 PM

a fourth loss in row to crackolina and nobody seems to give sh8t. dabos great.

Jan 25, 2013, 10:29 PM

Big picture my friend big picture.

Never really thought about this, but interesting to see

Jan 26, 2013, 6:41 AM

other opinions. Mine would be:

1. The founding of the program...perhaps, the understatement of all understatements.

2. The hiring of Frank Howard...you know the history and the developments during his tenure, but I believe the greatest contribuion of all was his longevity at the helm.

3. The hiring of Danny Ford...for good or bad, he set the standard by which all succeeding HC's are judged...and gave the Clemson Nation its neverending yearn for excellance.

Finally, I am really keeping my fingers crossed in my hopes that Dabo will combine the best talents of Howard and Ford and become another legend. We've had our highs and lows, but I like this young coach and want him to lead us back up the mountain.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lemme guess. you're under 35.***

Jan 26, 2013, 6:44 AM

Re: Lemme guess. you're under 35.***

Jan 26, 2013, 8:13 AM

Just turned 35. Sorry, can only speak on things I know from firsthand experience. Anything else would be hearsay.

I was being kind and gave you a point.

Jan 26, 2013, 8:29 AM

Your elders here are trying to educate you though some may find it amusing to prod at a younger tiger fan.

You are on the right track here so don't take the prods wrong and become disrespectful. That's just good advice because it took some of us years to come to grips with Clemson's great history and we understand where you are in the growing process.

Now, I could have blasted you with a statement about 1981's National Championship being heresay or John Heisman coaching at Clemson as being heresay but I was patient. There are too many to list.

Your OP would have been perfect had your subject line been:

"Turning Points in Clemson History Since Danny's Departure."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was being kind and gave you a point.

Jan 26, 2013, 8:32 AM

I wasn't being disrespectful at all. I was simply stating all those past events were great, but I really can't comment on them because I don't know the context.

I appreciate your Clemson History lessons!

You got close so I'll give you a point.***

Jan 26, 2013, 7:40 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow, all your history is within the last 6-7 years?? The...

Jan 26, 2013, 9:23 AM

firing/resignation of Danny Ford has to be one of the top 3 moments as it set us back for 2 decades. Come on man!

Re: Wow, all your history is within the last 6-7 years?? The...

Jan 26, 2013, 9:26 AM

Not the 3 most defining moments, but 3 defining moments in Clemson history.

The committment of James Davis was bigger as it....

Jan 26, 2013, 9:42 AM

helped land CJ a year later and turned the perception of the Clemson program back to the positive.

Re: The committment of James Davis was bigger as it....

Jan 26, 2013, 10:01 AM

Was Davis a firm commitment the entire time or did he sway between schools? What other schools did he consider?

But Planck u forgot 1981 season, 1982 NC, 63-17 and 45-0***

Jan 26, 2013, 12:55 PM

not to mention beatingOhio St., Nebraska, Penn St., Oklahoma

Jan 26, 2013, 12:57 PM

and Notre Dame.

Jan 26, 2013, 4:21 PM

I'm gonna go in a different direction and say "the rock" not being tossed out in the garbage and mounted at the top of the hill.

The birth of TNet??

Jan 26, 2013, 4:52 PM

That's historical is'nt it?

Perhaps, hysterical would be apt....lol***

Jan 26, 2013, 6:09 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 8, 2013, 3:09 AM

I am not much older but I remember the old days. I dont remember play by play of the NC but I do remember most of the glory days. I loved the Dantzler days even though we didnt finish great. Woody brought a huge spark to Clemson IMO. The big wins vs FSU & UT in the early 2000s were huge also. I do wish my memories were a little clearer of the glory days but all that matters is I was born & raised with orange blood and nothing will change that. Probably the best memory would be:
Having absolutely NO memory of USCe football. I was lucky to be born in 76 so everything was all Clemson. As far as I knew there was no such thing as coot football. The first thing I remember is those stupid mullet hats that personified their fans even to this day! lol

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic