Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2019-20 Clemson Defensive Profile
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

2019-20 Clemson Defensive Profile

Jan 10, 2019, 11:57 PM

Let the speculation begin ...

CB's AJ Terrell / Andrew Booth / Kyler McMichael / Mario Goodrich

S's Kvon Wallace / Tanner Muse / Nolan Turner / LeAnthony Williams

DE's Xavier Thomas / Justin Foster / KJ Henry / Logan Rudolph / Justin Mascoll

DT's Nyles Pinckney / Jordan Williams / Xavier Kelly / Darnell Jefferies

LB's Isaiah Simmons / Shaq Smith / Jamie Skalski / Mike Jones

Notes:
1) Justin Foster is a beast. Can he play DE and DT?
2) Could 6'4" Henry or 6'4" Mascoll gain weight and steer to DT?
3) Will true frosh Joe Charleston/S, Sheridan Jones/DB, Bryton Constantin/LB, Tyler Davis/DT, Kane Patterson/LB work into some reps on Defense as true frosh? Redshirt? Special Teams?
4) Are Kyler McMichael and LeAnthony Williams better suited at DB or S? Who is best nickel option on squad?

So how do you TNet GM's see these position competitions? Who could breakout? Looks to me like D will lose some beef and gain some speed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2018-19 Clemson Defensive Profile

Jan 11, 2019, 12:06 AM

All great options, but two critical elements will be missed. First senior leadership will be lacking and who is there to push in off season workouts? Secondly what chemistry is being built? Dabo needs to stress these important elements to the returning players.

We lose quite a lot defensively and it will be vital to establish leaders along with depth.

Go Tigers ??!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 11, 2019, 6:10 AM

All valid concerns - like the comment from the other poster on giving up some beef and gaining some speed - I think I tend to agree with that. As for chemistry - think you are spot on; however, I re-watch a lot of games and I think we all know that our back ups tend to get some decent playing time. Are they quality snaps? I for one was surprised to see Skalski in the Natty during the first quarter for a few plays. No knock on Skalski as I think he's a good one, but he's certainly a deeper back up on the roster. I guess I was pleasantly surprised to see this is my point. I think our edge rushers are going to be very good. Many teams have only one good edge rusher that can impact games - that guy is XT for us. I think he becomes the best DE to ever wear the paw when it's all over for him. Tough, fast - he's got "IT". We'll have plenty of options for the other DE - and I'm certain whoever that is will be a darn good one. As for the DT's, there is no 90 or 42 - might not be for a long, long time. But that's okay - I am certain that we'll find at least two guys that can get the job done.

Jan 11, 2019, 12:06 AM

Charleston is probably going to start the season on the two deep and Tyler Davis is going to be a contributor.

Jan 11, 2019, 6:06 AM

Id just comment Williams is cb, and S is missing johnson.

1. Maybe but lean no
2. No
3.,Yes some of them
4.mcmichael maybe, Williams no

Jan 11, 2019, 6:52 AM

D Johnson maybe who you were thinking of when you put L Williams at safety?

Charleston, Jones, Booth will all work their way into the defensive backfield next year, assuming they’re healthy, come in physically prepared, and grasp the defense pretty well (I know that’s a lot of assumptions)

Don’t forget Chad Smith at LB, and would expect 1-2 of the guys we’re bringing in to get some reps out of Constantin, Bentley, Patterson (Maguire and Williams I think will need a RS year)

Tyler Davis will get snaps probably from the jump, and if Tayquon Johnson can clean up his technique I expect him to play year 1.

1.) Foster is already a converted LB, he’ll be staying at DE
2.) KJ and Mascoll are your ideal lengthy DE body types, think Clelin after they get some more good weight on
3.) Addressed most of that above of freshman playing
4.) Williams doesn’t have the size for S, McMichael/Goodrich might move over or cross train. And Venables didn’t use a nickel CB when he had Fields this year so I don’t see him using one next year. He tends to swap a DT for a safety in obvious passing downs.

Re: 2019-20 Clemson Defensive Profile

Jan 11, 2019, 9:48 PM

Appreciate the good feedback across the board.

Lots of backup, redshirt and true frosh talent will be battling for two-deep p.t. in 2019. Agree without 42, 90, 99 or 7, Tiger D is more likely susceptible to the run. We know XT is a stud, and IMHO Justin Foster will also be a sack master beast.

Tigers averaged 44 pts per game this season. And 47 ppg with Trevor at QB (post-short SYR game). IMHO Clemson will increase average to 50-51 ppg in 2019-20 which may be balanced by giving up 3 more ppg.

Looking forward to watching BV pull the strings to create a new unit in 2019. Enjoy the ride and go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2019-20 Clemson Defensive Profile

Jan 11, 2019, 10:11 PM

I expect we may have to win a few more shootouts next season but that'll only add to Trevors Heisman resume.

Message was edited by: NCTIgerFan23

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic