Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The CFP needs to extend to eight teams in my opinion
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

The CFP needs to extend to eight teams in my opinion

Oct 16, 2018, 4:15 PM

It should work a little like basketball with the conference winners in the top five going and allow for teams outside the top five like UCF and Norte Dame - ugh - their stand alone better than everyone crap ruins everything, and a couple of other teams thrown in. Just my opinion.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The CFP needs to extend to eight teams in my opinion

Oct 16, 2018, 4:18 PM

Nah, these kids dont get paid, thats adding what 2 more games before the natty, to much of a risk of serious injury. The only teams that benefit are teams that arent good enough to crack the top 4

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2018, 4:22 PM

Not necessarily, omit the Bullcrap teams we play, all in conference and those that prove themselves can go to the conference championship and then the playoffs

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I'm SURE teams will be scrambling to drop home games

Oct 16, 2018, 4:25 PM

inb favor of an expanded playoff...Hold your breath

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yeah, I'm SURE teams will be scrambling to drop home games

Oct 16, 2018, 4:33 PM

You probably can't say this year in and year out but some conference championship games are effectively "play in" games, i.e. CU/Miami last year and CU/UNC the year before. Keep it at four! If not, you'll just be moving the argument to the 7 slot or the 9 slot vs. the 5 slot. IMHO ...

Re: Yeah, I'm SURE teams will be scrambling to drop home games

Oct 16, 2018, 4:38 PM [ in reply to Yeah, I'm SURE teams will be scrambling to drop home games ]

Yep, schools aren't going to give up that money, and smaller schools that we play in those games need that money to survive.

Cut out the CCG's, along with divisions and go back to

Oct 16, 2018, 4:27 PM [ in reply to Re: The CFP needs to extend to eight teams in my opinion ]

regular season championships. Better regular season, better post-season, no extra games.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, how would you determine the conference champ, while

Oct 16, 2018, 4:37 PM

playing only 8 of a possible 13 opponents. The winner would just be the one with the easier draw on scheduling??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Conferences are too big now for that to work...

Oct 16, 2018, 4:59 PM [ in reply to Cut out the CCG's, along with divisions and go back to ]

since all team don't play each other.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

The old Southern Conference had 30 teams at one point.

Oct 16, 2018, 11:12 PM

14 today is almost perfect, especially with 8-game conference seasons.

If you go back through the last decade, even with 14-team conferences, there's generally a clear-cut regular season champ before a CCG. 8, or 9 games even is plenty to overcome a bad or good draw, and annual permanent rivalries (3?) would offer balanced scheduling also. And if a runner-up is all that - they're an at-large. With 3 at-larges, no truly deserving team will get screwed, though you would certainly have the occasional conference champ that would bump a top 8 borderline team out, but they're a P5 conference champ fair and square.

With so few cross-division games the good and bad draws are just as rampant now as they would be without divisions.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It adds 1 more game to those advancing to final

Oct 16, 2018, 4:49 PM [ in reply to Re: The CFP needs to extend to eight teams in my opinion ]

And where does this idea come from that football players want to play less football? Players are down for games that mean something. Maybe give some another meaningful game instead of a meaningless bowl game.

I agree, 4 is perfect.

Oct 16, 2018, 5:01 PM [ in reply to Re: The CFP needs to extend to eight teams in my opinion ]

Wanting more than that is not what's best for Clemson. It's a very exclusive club we're in.

The 4th place team has gotten beaten soundly in most matchups. I don't see a need to further dilute the pool.

Besides, of there were 8 we would be looking at 3-5 SEC teams every year because of the media bias. It would give them yet another recruiting advantage.

Pretty simple really...

Oct 16, 2018, 4:19 PM

Take the five Power 5 conference champions and three at-large teams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you trying to take credit for the same format the BCS

Oct 16, 2018, 4:23 PM

used for over a decade?

Re: Pretty simple really...

Oct 16, 2018, 4:40 PM [ in reply to Pretty simple really... ]

If they take the 5 champs and 3 at large then ESPN would put 4 SEC teams in.

I really like the 4 team format personally. I think the at large teams could have a huge advantage in more preparation time and it would be rare when Championship game losers go to the playoff.

I just think you dilute the pool by adding more teams.

Next people would want a 16 team playoff.

Dean

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2018, 4:42 PM

If the NCAA makes it 64 teams then maybe the Coots might get in every once in a while :)

ESecPN doesn't have a vote...

Oct 16, 2018, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Pretty simple really... ]

so they'll just have to keep trying to influence and manipulate those who do.

100% Agree.

Oct 16, 2018, 4:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Pretty simple really... ]

It will never stop being a beauty contest on some level.

Go to 8 teams and you'll routinely have 3-4 SEC team in it because of stupid sports writers and TV ratings. No thanks.

Four is enough.

Oct 16, 2018, 4:43 PM [ in reply to Pretty simple really... ]

As a fan there's certainly part of me that would be in favor of 8 teams, but really 4 teams is just right. They'll always be debate over teams 4-6 or whatever, but most of the time it'll be like last year with a team like Ohio State who had 2 losses, or a 1 loss team who played a soft schedule.

Also, I'm not really in favor of automatically letting in a conference champion. I know it wouldn't be very often, but what happens when there's a major upset in a conference championship game? Look at the ACC Coastal this season, and imagine whoever wins that division being 1 win away from being in the CFP. That could easily be an 8-4 or 9-3 unranked team this season.

Oct 16, 2018, 4:22 PM

And 8 becomes 16, and 16 becomes 32....

I like 4. That will eventually force Notre Dame to join a conference. At 8 they have an easier path as an independent than as a member of a conference.

UCF deserves no mention. An average team from ANY power 5 conference would be undefeated with that joke of a schedule.

U Conn
SC State
Pitt
UF- Atlantic
SMU
Memphis
East Carolina
Temple
Navy
Cincinnati
USF

Really?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed, 4 teams is plenty***

Oct 16, 2018, 4:24 PM

UCF does deserve a mention.

Oct 16, 2018, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Re: The CFP needs to extend to eight teams in my opinion ]

It's messed up that CFB is the only sport in the world where a decent % of teams have literally a 0% chance to win the national title before the season even begins.

Re: UCF does deserve a mention.

Oct 16, 2018, 4:59 PM

Well unfortunately, life isn't always fair. Perhaps UCF should try to schedule some tougher OOC games? Boise State seemed to have no problem going out and playing big teams during their run several years ago. Sure, that would probably mean them going on the road, but if they're "national champions" they should be up to the task.

Beyond that, if they're on the level of Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, etc... then maybe they shouldn't need double overtime to beat a team like Memphis last season. This season their toughest opponent so far has been a 4-3 Memphis team that lost to a 2-4 Navy team, and 40-24 to a 2-4 Tulane team in a game that was 40-14 at one point.

If UCF deserves a mention then we need to stop scheduling OOC games against teams like Auburn, Georgia, A&M, LSU, etc... and play nothing but cupcakes since all that matters is winning.

Re: UCF does deserve a mention.

Oct 16, 2018, 5:32 PM

Playing and winning against name schools on the road is what made Florida State what they are today. When Bobby Bowden first arrived, they had no name, and nobody was willing to travel to Tallahassee to play them. So he took his team on the road to play them. And he usually won. They were called the “road warriors” in the late 70s/early 80s.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2018, 4:34 PM [ in reply to Re: The CFP needs to extend to eight teams in my opinion ]

There are plenty of power 5 teams that would lose multiple games with that schedule. Probably half the ACC....

Oct 16, 2018, 4:49 PM

That's why he said an "average" P5 team.

The current contract runs thru 2022....

Oct 16, 2018, 4:25 PM

Nothing can/will change before then.

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Thank God***

Oct 16, 2018, 4:26 PM

Re: The current contract runs thru 2022....

Oct 16, 2018, 10:17 PM [ in reply to The current contract runs thru 2022.... ]

I feel six is exactly what is needed in that all power five conference champs get in along with the highest ranked team otherwise. ND likely would not get in often enough so they would forced to join the ACC. Teams like UCF would have to raise the level of competition as well. To eliminate scheduling issues drop back to eleven games like SoCon and other conferences and have teams play one less minor team.

Give the two top teams a break while the other four play their elimination games. Also consider revising the entire bowl game structure to make teams really have to earn a post-season berth in one as a reward. Seven wins or better to qualify! There would still be plenty of money to go around.

Go Tigers ??!!

Oct 16, 2018, 4:32 PM

The problem with this system is it renders the OOC schedule meaningless. The regular season would be about nothing but winning your division and making it to your conference championship game.

What they need to do is shorten the conference schedule to 6 games, and make each team schedule 4 games against non conference power 5 teams. The other two games could be “preseason” against group of 5 and FCS schools....

Get rid of conference title games and award conference winners and seed a 16 team playoff by overall record like the NFL.

no it shouldn't.

Oct 16, 2018, 4:35 PM

4 teams is perfectly adequate. Just like 4 teams was always perfectly adequate for baseball playoffs. The money got involved and decided we needed an extra round and wildcards. *** that. No need.

I like 4 and no more

Oct 16, 2018, 4:36 PM

Unless that particular year we get left out. Then 8 or 16 or however many spots until we get in is fine. LOL.

Oct 16, 2018, 4:43 PM

Nope ....... if the goal is to identify the best team in college football, the championship committee has four chances to get it right .... or is it their goal to pick the four best teams in college football? Yes, picking the best four would be nice, but they really only have to pick the best team. Does it really matter if they miss on one, two, or even the three other teams? Or is the committee's job to pick the four most deserving teams? Last year, IMO, they failed, as Alabama was not one of the four most deserving. However, they did pick the best team in college football.

There are a lot of ways to look at it, but I think picking the 4 most deserving teams based on their performance will identify the best team in the country better than 90% of the time. I can live with that!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2018, 5:08 PM

Condense it to 4 power conferences. 20 teams in each conference with 2 divisions. Should allow for FCS/small institution games to ensure their revenue. Championship games are the play in games for the system already in place.
The conferences may need to be geographically realigned which is a potential problem.
As long as large market TV rating schools stay within their respective conferences and do not become independent it will work perfectly.

Easy Solution without adding more Games..Very Easy!

Oct 16, 2018, 5:16 PM

First, asking fans to travel any more over the Christmas Holidays is asking a lot unless you have money and the type of job that will let you off.

Here's my EASY EASY Solution:

1. ELIMINATE DIVISIONAL PLAY:

It doesn't matter who plays a 9 game schedule or 8 game conference schedule. Eliminating Divisional play assures that the 2 best teams from each conference will compete for their league title every year, even if it means a rematch.

Eliminating Divisional play will also free up every conference to allow a better rotation of games. You can still keep 2-3 teams like FSU, GT, maybe NC State, but we could then rotate the Northern ACC teams and North Carolina teams more and even get Miami on our schedule more frequently.

2. All INDEPENDENTS MUST PLAY 13 GAMES OR BE PENALIZED

So Notre Dame either needs to Join A Conference of Schedule BYU every year. If an Independent teams doesn't want to play a 13th game say during conference championship week, that should weigh into the consideration.

3. CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS SHOULD WEIGHT A LOT MORE!

The big negative in the current CFP format is that it had lowered the value of a conference champ to where teams have a path without winning the league and that needs to be fixed.

In this suggestion, the Conference Championship games will be closer to a quarter-final round than anything. Since the best two teams from each conference will play, it should allow for great games.

The CFP can still take the best 4 teams after all the dust settles just like now. No extra travel and the fans get a better deal.

That's all I have to say about that........

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Re: Easy Solution without adding more Games..Very Easy!

Oct 17, 2018, 5:37 PM

What about this? Instead of requiring Independents to add a game to the schedule. Have the 2 top Committee ranked teams not playing in a conference championship play each other regardless of conference affiliation. That would take care of when Notre Dame is relevant and keep teams that don't win their division from backing in without playing a game.

Oct 16, 2018, 5:16 PM

Does no good to even talk about it as the contract runs out in 2025? Nothing changes till it is up and that is a fact.

Oct 16, 2018, 5:21 PM

Go to 6 and that is enough.

Oct 16, 2018, 5:35 PM

If you want to go to 6, you may as well drop back to 2. The teams that get buys would have too much of an advantage.

Oct 16, 2018, 5:27 PM

Agreed!

Tiger/Terrier

already extended to 11

Oct 16, 2018, 5:35 PM

5 Conference Championships plus ND.

Modern Day Society always wants to expand/include those that do perform high enough.

Oct 16, 2018, 5:45 PM

Tell "The Committee",not us!

Oct 16, 2018, 9:58 PM

Four is for the best. You want the playoffs to be exclusive, and only the elite are good enough to be apart of it. Just because a team wins their conference doesn't mean they are one of the best four teams in the country. All conferences aren't equal.

Oct 17, 2018, 4:04 PM

It is a valid point about adding more than 4 teams and it would kill the motivation for Top 15 teams to schedule tough OOC opponents.

I also don't like adding 2 teams and giving the 1-2 seed an extra week off or one less game. At least with 4 teams, everyone has a chance to go 2-0 and win the Natty.

We cannot control that the ACC is a dumpster file this year but it just means we have to go undefeated to guarantee the playoffs. If OSU and ND lose a game then when likely still get in with one loss but to be honest, we should run the table. Maybe we don;t deserve to be in the playoffs if we don't win out this year. However, there is still a lot of football to be played and crazy things always seem to happen in November. The pressure of being a top 4 team seems to get to teams.

Dean

4 is perfect. 8 would water down the regular season too

Oct 17, 2018, 4:16 PM

much.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 17, 2018, 4:23 PM

Please explain how you would make this work, its a 15 game schedule for the 2 teams in the CFP FINAL (14 for ND if they were to make it)...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 17, 2018, 5:43 PM

I simply do not feel like there are 8 teams that deserve to have a chance to be the national champion every year .
6 tops , and that's pushing it most years .
I like the 4 team playoff and I like the committee approach .
I say leave it as is .

DB23

Negative ghost rider the playoff is full***

Oct 17, 2018, 6:26 PM

Oct 17, 2018, 6:42 PM

I don't like the idea of automatic qualifiers because without them it provides an incentive for teams to schedule more difficult OOC games in order to increase their SOS. There are always times when an OOC opponent scheduled years in advance ends up being much worse than expected (see Louisville), but overall the 4 team playoff has provided more marquee OOC games every year.

Also, I wouldn't want a team that was 10-3 or 9-4 to automatically get in over a 12-1 team with a loss in a conference championship game.

Oct 19, 2018, 4:37 PM

I have very mixed feelings about division champs getting in but I feel like it should be a big part of the committee criteria. If the team is 9-3 and a division champ then certainly the three losses should be a huge factor.

I like less the idea that Bama can just lose to Auburn, not play in the SEC Championship game and then UGA and Bama go. Again, the fact that Bama has the extra week to get healthy and prepare was unfair.

I really think it should stay at 4 teams but the conference championship should be a bigger part of the equation.

Dean

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic