Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
#1 son of joeyb® just got accepted to Clemson! Now, if
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

#1 son of joeyb® just got accepted to Clemson! Now, if

Feb 18, 2019, 10:40 AM

someone will give me $200K to pay for 4 years of out-of-state tuition, I'll be all set!

I'll open a GoFundjoeyb® page shortly!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: #1 son of joeyb® just got accepted to Clemson! Now, if

Feb 18, 2019, 10:46 AM

Congratulations!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I did’t understand how big a day it was when I got accepted........

Feb 18, 2019, 11:14 AM

But I do now. And very excited for every one that is accepted.

My sincere congratulations and best wishes for his future.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2019, 11:11 AM

I'll invite him to join the frat.

There was no way I could justify $33,000 a yr tuition vs

Feb 18, 2019, 11:16 AM

$8500 a year tuition at NC State when NC state has higher ranked engineering programs. I stopped talking to my kids about attending Clemson when they hit 9th grade. I love Clemson and they are still very fond of Clemson since they went to so many games growing up, but they also loved going to NC State. I couldn't have been happier for them.

They went to community college first too to cut down costs. I pitched in, the state pitched in, scholarships pitched in, they worked and got internships to pitch in. They borrowed a little too, but paid that back in a few months.

Kid 3 went similar rout but to UNCC. Hw took computer sci instead of engineering. Already has a killer internship so I expect him to make 60k plus a year when he gets out.

I'm a big fan of community college. Almost free tuition and free room and board at home and I can watch over them the first two years to make sure they are on the right track while giving them more freedom. Small classes so they learn better and are less stressful.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There was no way I could justify $33,000 a yr tuition vs

Feb 18, 2019, 11:36 AM

It sounds like a good deal. I believe in doing what best fits your circumstance, and thinking about the future.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Yep - I hear you. I have about 1/2 of what he needs for

Feb 18, 2019, 12:41 PM [ in reply to There was no way I could justify $33,000 a yr tuition vs ]

Clemson saved in a fund - which, of course, would be more than enough for him to attend NCState for 4 years.

I didn't have the foresight to wean him off of Clemson, as you did. I told my wife last night, "I can't raise him on Clemson and then tell him he can't go."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yep - I hear you. I have about 1/2 of what he needs for

Feb 18, 2019, 12:57 PM

But, you could have raised him knowing that if he wanted to go to Clemson, that he would have to work summer jobs and help you save to pay for it. He may appreciate that a lot more!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's done that - but it is literally $54K per year to attend

Feb 18, 2019, 1:00 PM

Clemson out-of-state. So his contribution will only be a drop in the bucket.

Feb 18, 2019, 1:03 PM [ in reply to There was no way I could justify $33,000 a yr tuition vs ]

Same, except my first two have gone to FSU and UF. It's heartbreaking to crunch the numbers and realize your kids really need to go somewhere besides Clemson after they get that acceptance letter.

I'm definitely going to have to do some belt-tightening and

Feb 18, 2019, 1:08 PM

the "smart" thing to do would be to go in-state - I definitely know what you're talking about...

Feb 18, 2019, 4:05 PM [ in reply to Re: There was no way I could justify $33,000 a yr tuition vs ]

When I entered the Univ. of Florida before WW2, my tuition was $27. per semester. The state was funding the University at a higher level than they do now. After WW2, the GI Bill was one of the greatest things our country has ever done. That act led to the greatest technological advancement this country has ever experienced and look where we are now. Something produced yesterday will be obsolete tomorrow.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2019, 10:17 AM

Instate tuition is still a bargain at UF, especially considering its now a top 10 school. $6k a year for my daughter. Plus Florida has a great state scholarship program and a really good prepaid program.

The problem with SC is that it is a poor state and doesn't value education. It is ridiculous for public universities in SC to cost so much more than NC and Fl.

You can borrow my address next time for instate tuition

Feb 19, 2019, 9:35 AM [ in reply to There was no way I could justify $33,000 a yr tuition vs ]

so you don't have to send anymore of your kids to Nancy State.

There's something in these hills.

Feb 18, 2019, 12:41 PM

Congrats! My daughter just got accepted and we are out of state too. She got scholarships from other schools to bring the cost down, but shes loved Clemson since she started walking, so I gotta make this happen.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Beans and Rice M-F and Ramen .....

Feb 18, 2019, 2:24 PM

. . . .Noodles on the weekends . ...worked for me.

Good Luck!

Feb 18, 2019, 8:31 PM

Congratulations! I was happy and relieved that my son attended Clemson, but we are in state. With the lottery and trustee scholarship money, it was a good value. Certainly, a lot better than the out of state private liberal arts college that my daughter chose to attend. That about killed me.

Congratulations!

Feb 18, 2019, 9:07 PM

And condolences.

Feb 18, 2019, 9:21 PM

Congrats. You must be really proud. As far as tuition, I feel your pain. I am now short about $70,000. Man what a nice boat I could have bought. Now my son and daughter will have to buy it. Lol

Best wishes to your son and lots of success.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2019, 9:24 PM

You shouldn't rank your kids . I read that on an Ann Landers ledger about 30 years ago .

Congrats , btw .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

You obviously haven't met my other kid!

Feb 18, 2019, 11:38 PM

Just kidding (or am I?)

I was merely ranking them in chronological order (as far as you know)…

:)

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic