Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Divisions, in any sport, doesn't make sense ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Divisions, in any sport, doesn't make sense ...

Jun 20, 2018, 1:16 PM

It is impossible to have a Clemson vs FSU conference championship game .... really ?

No Yankees VS Red Sox World Series
No Patriots VS Steelers Super Bowl (ick ... I wouldn't watch, but it makes a point)

Doesn't make sense to me.

Why can't the two best teams play ? No bueno.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We play FSU every year, the Yankees and Red Sox play 20 game

Jun 20, 2018, 1:21 PM

in regular season and then the ALDS/ALCS if they are both good enough, and the Steelers and Pats will meet up in AFC Champ Game of lower playoffs if they are both good enough.

The only legit argument against divisions is that we don't play everyone in our conference, sometimes with over 10 years between games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Nah, the most legit argument against divisions is that the

Jun 20, 2018, 1:24 PM

divisions are almost never remotely balanced. Wisconsin, for example, has a massive advantage over any team in the Big Ten East.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Isn't that the same as all teams not playing each other in

Jun 20, 2018, 1:27 PM

conference? If they did, you wouldn't have divisional balance issues.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

That's not possible within most conferences right now though

Jun 20, 2018, 1:39 PM

due to size. We can't play every ACC team every year without going to an NFL-length schedule and that's just not going to happen.

I've seen some interesting ideas floated out like pods or reseeding the divisions each year.

I'm not a fan of divisions either because they are horrible

Jun 20, 2018, 1:23 PM

for competitive balance, BUT many rivalries begin because the teams are in the same division. Clemson - FSU wouldn't mean nearly as much if we didn't play every year. The Yankees - Red Sox rivalry is almost certainly more intense because those teams have played nearly 20 times a year for over a century and battled each other for the pennant.

And the Steelers - Pats SB won't happen unless you remove conferences, not just divisions.

It's just too cyclical at the college level for divisions to

Jun 20, 2018, 1:35 PM

produce a consistent balance on a year-to-year basis, and the years in between contests within the league is obscene and hurts potential rivalries more than it helps.

On the rivalry front, with 14 teams the ACC could assign 3 permanent annual teams per school (FSU, Ga. Tech and NCS for us) and rotate the remaining 5 games to where every team would play every other team 2x every four years, home and away. It hardly gets any better than that from a regular season standpoint.

Us and FSU actually shot this idea down, however, several years back, as we were afraid that a rematch in an ACCCG could knock one of us out of either a potential CFP bid or NY6 opportunity.

Best case scenario as I see it would be to replace CCG weekend with Round 1 of the CFP - Power 5 regular season winners (possible only with no divisions) plus 3 at-large (no auto bid for G5 teams - have to rank high enough for an at-large). Losers are cast into the bowl system in NY6 spots, winners go the semis like it is now.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CFB is cyclical to an extent but some teams cycle in way

Jun 20, 2018, 1:46 PM

more than others. I think when one division has Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, and Penn State, and the other has Wisconsin and Nebraska it's pretty obvious which division is going to be stronger about 95% of the time.

"On the rivalry front, with 14 teams the ACC could assign 3 permanent annual teams per school (FSU, Ga. Tech and NCS for us) and rotate the remaining 5 games to where every team would play every other team 2x every four years, home and away."

This is basically the "pods" concept floated by the guys at SB Nation and I happen to agree that it would be pretty good. https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/6/16/11935718/ncaa-conferences-divisions-scheduling

The big chose those

Jun 20, 2018, 1:55 PM

Divisions...if they want to hinder their champion, so be it.

It helps if they win. .in the case of the sec west, It even helps if you lose.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Yeah that's pretty close, but to me 3 annuals does the

Jun 20, 2018, 2:01 PM [ in reply to CFB is cyclical to an extent but some teams cycle in way ]

trick that much better. Historically, really only UNC needs 3 - 100+ year rivalries with Duke, NCS, and UVA that shouldn't be tampered with. The 3rd for most others is a toss-up. No need to NC up the 4 NC programs in my book either after the main rivalries are covered.

A flaw in that proposal that really jumps out though is Syracuse, Pitt, and BC not all having an annual date against a Florida school - that's a major condition for them in any type of scheduling plan due to the recruiting exposure. FSU could pair up with Syracuse as an annual along with Miami of course and us. Miami could add BC and Pitt along with FSU for their trio, and the northern schools would buy in.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think they only did 4 for the ACC

Jun 20, 2018, 2:47 PM

The other conferences had 3

You're also spot on about a long-term imbalance set-up

Jun 20, 2018, 5:23 PM

in the Big 10. Interesting that they ditched their balanced traditional powers division approach with the amorphous and non-sensical Leaders and Legends divisions to go east / west geographic, knowing it would perennially load up in one division. Were the ACC to drop its amorphous Atlantic and Coastal balance attempt and go North / South you would have more of the same thing roughly. Both mostly suck, but at least the Big 10 has a few more compelling league games per year considering the stacked east division.

Stupid solutions come from making stupid problems.

Jun 20, 2018, 1:31 PM

We have divisions because we have conferences that are too large.

But that's "progress."

I don't think i would call it progress. It was more a

Jun 20, 2018, 1:49 PM

product of greed and survival. Barring some kind of political treaty (which obviously never happened) the conferences really had no choice other than to try to expand because if they weren't expanding they were being eaten (Big East).

The Big XII just called and agreed with you.

Jun 21, 2018, 10:22 AM

10 team conferences where everyone plays everyone cannot exist today.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Big XII is still very, very unstable i don't think it's

Jun 21, 2018, 10:41 AM

by any means a given that the conference will still exist in ~10 years. I really wouldn't point to that conference as a model for anything right now.

So, you have presented a problem...

Jun 20, 2018, 1:36 PM

What is your proposed solution?

I know it is radical, but my proposal is a 6 team playoff

Jun 20, 2018, 2:09 PM

The power 5 conferences send their conference champion determined by an actual championship game. ..I don't care how they chose which 2 teams play in their champ game.

So 5 playoff slots are already locked up, no polls or discussion.

The committee fills the last spot from a non power conference. They then chose seedings
And the locations.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Clemson plays fsu every year. ..why does it matter?

Jun 20, 2018, 1:44 PM

Same with every other team you pOsted

How would you pick the best teams? ..poll?

Isn't Thai what we are trying to hey away with.

The only flaw in the dividers conference champs is the fact that you can make the playoffs without winning a division or Confetence.

Bama should not have been in the playoffs last year, neither should osu the year before.

Look at it like this. When the NFL divisions were

Jun 20, 2018, 2:10 PM

formed, the Pats sucked. When the MLB Divisions were formed the Red Sox sucked. When the ACC divisions formed, Miami was much better than us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The ACC spent about 15 seconds determining the divisions and

Jun 20, 2018, 2:51 PM

that process pretty much went like this:

"We should put Miami and FSU in opposite divisions so they can play in the ACCCG every year."
"Great idea!"
"Now that that's settled lets go to Bojangles!"

agreed all divisions do is divide . We need more togetherness.***

Jun 21, 2018, 8:14 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic