Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
track & field @ Penn Relays today, first Clemson relay about to start
Tiger Boards - Other Clemson Sports
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 12
| visibility 251

track & field @ Penn Relays today, first Clemson relay about to start

Apr 26, 2024, 1:19 PM

Women's 4 x 100 about to begin at 1:20 PM today (4/26). Clemson is in the Championship of America section, heat 2. The Clemson legs for this relay, in order, will be Aleksandra Stoilova, Antoinette Van der Merwe, Ockera Myrie, Courtney Williams. Should be a very strong group. This is the qualifying round of this event, the finals will be tomorrow.

live feed: https://www.flotrack.org/live/88079

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson finishes 2nd in the heat in 44.32

Apr 26, 2024, 1:39 PM

Ohio State wins in 43.96. But that will comfortably qualify the Tigers for the final as the fastest non-automatic qualifier from any of the 3 heats, and the 4th qualifier overall behind the 3 section winners. (Of the 16 total teams in the event, 9 qualify for the finals.) I thought Clemson looked good, there was a bit of an overrun on the handoff between Antoinette and Ockera which cost some time, but the speed was there. If they can clean that up, Clemson should absolutely be able to contend for the victory tomorrow in the final. But again, the main goal in prelims is just to qualify, which the Tigers did easily in this first relay, so a good result to start things off for Clemson.

unfortunately, you do have to have a flotrack subscription to watch

Apr 26, 2024, 1:46 PM

but here are some live results links:

all Clemson events schedule: https://pennrelaysonline.com/Results/team.aspx?s=1429

overall college women's schedule: https://pennrelaysonline.com/Results/schedule.aspx?l=CW

overall college men's schedule: https://pennrelaysonline.com/Results/schedule.aspx?l=CM

overall meet schedule (for Friday, you can toggle the days as you'd like): https://pennrelaysonline.com/Results/schedule.aspx?t=d&d=f

men's 4 x 100 team about to run @ 1:55

Apr 26, 2024, 1:51 PM

Once again, Clemson is in the Championship of America division prelims. The Tigers will send out Daniel Kidd, Tajh Hamm, D'Andre Anderson, and Cameron Rose. Should be another great team.

men's 4 x 100 team qualifies

Apr 26, 2024, 2:20 PM

The Tigers run 40.07 to finish 3rd in heat 2 and qualify 5th overall (2nd non-automatic qualifier). USF won the heat in 39.41, which was also the fastest overall time. Once again, 9 teams qualify for the final out of 24 total in the prelims. Clemson actually changed the order from what was initially written, going Anderson, Rose, Hamm, and Kidd in that order. It's an interesting strategy, as that put the Tiger's best speed at the beginning instead of the end, but maybe that was because it was a prelim. It will be interesting to see if they keep the same order for the final. But the handoffs all looked good, so that was encouraging to see. I don't know if Clemson can take down Houston and USF in the final tomorrow, but they should at least be in a good position to have a strong finish among the top 3 or 4. But once again, another easy qualification for the Tigers, so a successful day for the men's 4 x 100 team.

Thank you for posting all the updates!!***

Apr 26, 2024, 2:27 PM

women's DMR now underway

Apr 26, 2024, 2:33 PM

Clemson order: 1200: Gladys Chepngetich, 400: Mackenzie Osher, 800: Brynne Sumner, mile: Silvia Jelelgo

Once again, Clemson is in the Championship of America section. Should be another great Tiger relay team.

remaining Clemson relay schedule for reference:

Apr 26, 2024, 2:57 PM

women's 4 x 200: 2:55
men's 4 x 200: 3:10
women's 4 x 400: 4:20
men's 4 x 400: 4:35
women's sprint medley: 6:30
men's sprint medley: 6:50

women's 4 x 1500: Saturday 12:30
men's 4 x mile: Saturday 12:55
women's 4 x 800: Saturday 2:48
men's 4 x 800: Saturday 2:58

women's DMR finishes last (11th)

Apr 26, 2024, 3:56 PM

Clemson ran 11:14.03 (splits: Gladys Chepngetich 1200: 3:20.29, Mackenzie Osher 400: 54.16, Brynne Sumner 800: 2:06.57, Silvia Jelelgo mile: 4:53.02). Winning time was 10:37.55 by Harvard. The Tigers were in 5th at the end of the 800 leg, but the competition was very tough in this event, particularly on the mile leg. Clemson looked pretty overmatched, unfortunately. Clemson really doesn't have an elite true distance runner right now. You could make the argument that Chepngetich is worthy of that distinction, and she certainly is as at the 800m. But her strength is really shorter mid-distance, once you go up to the mile or further, she's just not going to be able to hang with elite long-distance athletes. At least not this year.

She is still only a freshman, and she's already shown immense upside, so I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility that she could improve her endurance as she continues to develop in subsequent years. After all, she was an all-American in cross country this past season, finishing 24th at nationals in 19:54 over 6000m. But her best mile time right now would likely be somewhere in the high 4:30's or low 4:40's, and elite milers (like some of the ones in the DMR today) are running in the low 4:30's or 4:20's. But again, even if Gladys could eventually become an elite miler, and I don't doubt that she could, I don't want to act like I'm putting this all on her shoulders. Number one, she's still only a freshman, and has already vastly exceeded expectations. Number two, again, her best event is the 800, so it really isn't fair to also expect her to also be an elite miler anyway. Being one of the best 800 runners in the NCAA as a freshman is more than enough.

Now Silvia Jelelgo is only a freshman herself, and while she's certainly not elite right now, she's certainly an improvement over what we've had, and I think she has potential. So getting her was at least a step in the right direction, as was getting Brynne Sumner last year, though this will be her final year of eligibility if I'm not mistaken. But not having good distance runners is a glaring weakness that has certainly hurt the Tigers for years now, especially in the ACC where there are loads of good ones. But I think we are seeing some slow signs of progress in that department. Today was pretty rough, however, going up against the Ivys and the Big East schools (who also have great distance runners).

Re: women's DMR finishes last (11th)

Apr 26, 2024, 3:59 PM

As with all the other relays, Clemson was in the Championship of America section for this event. The best college section in each event

men's DMR scratched

Apr 26, 2024, 3:57 PM

(did not start)

Re: track & field @ Penn Relays today, first Clemson relay about to start

Apr 26, 2024, 4:01 PM

both the men's and women's 4 x 200 teams scratched

Re: track & field @ Penn Relays today, first Clemson relay about to start

Apr 26, 2024, 4:04 PM

next Clemson event coming up will be the 4 x 400, with the women getting underway first at 4:20

Replies: 12
| visibility 251
Tiger Boards - Other Clemson Sports
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next