Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The elemination of walk ons further professionalizes college football
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1,501

The elemination of walk ons further professionalizes college football

May 14, 2024, 8:40 AM

I was not even aware this was being serioulsy contemplated until I read the interview with Dabo on TCI. Sounds like it could be a reality by next summer.

As expected Dabo is vehemtly opposed and had a pretty strong opinion on the matter. While reading his comments, it makes you seriuously wonder how much longer Dabo will coach in this environment.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm losing interest in the sport. Never in a million years would I have thought

May 14, 2024, 8:56 AM

that would happen. It's not college football to me.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm losing interest in the sport. Never in a million years would I have thought

May 14, 2024, 10:23 AM

I wonder if some schools wouldn't benefit from breaking away from D1/B1G/SEC and actually trying to build an interest around amateur college athletics?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If it's club supports only. Otherwise, no.

May 14, 2024, 11:05 AM

"Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate."

Otherwise, college sports are headed toward professional status.

Who is Clemson's greatest ever Walk-On? Hunter Renfrow? Someone else?

May 14, 2024, 8:58 AM

No wonder Coach is upset. I am as well if this happens.

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Re: Who is Clemson's greatest ever Walk-On? Hunter Renfrow? Someone else?

May 14, 2024, 9:46 AM

There is no telling how many walk-ons we have had that became contributors during the scholarship era. Prior to that everyone was a walk-on. Since then, and to my memory, kicker and punter have been the main positions. Obed Ariri became an All-Amercan. Donald igweibeke, Bob Paulling (who got his first punt rammed down his throat for a TD I think) and it seems like a kicker and punter more recently. I recall we had a smallish nose tackle in the 80's, Rob ?, from something like N. Dakota that became an All- American. Bodine, maybe? Not sure and also not positive but I think he may have walked on.

Walk-ons are a great and important part of the college game. Heck, wasn't Baker Mayfield a walk-on at Texas Tech before going to OU?

Re: Who is Clemson's greatest ever Walk-On? Hunter Renfrow? Someone else?

May 14, 2024, 10:04 AM

Rob Bodine from Pickens, SC played NG for Danny in the late 80's. One of my favorite Tigers.

Bodine was from one of the Dakotas....***

May 14, 2024, 11:25 AM

Re: Bodine was from one of the Dakotas....***

May 14, 2024, 12:48 PM

Come on Spud. You should know this one.

Rob transferred from one of the Dakotas but grew up in and went to Pickens High School. He was related to Pickens Bivens crowd.

Re: The elemination of walk ons further professionalizes college football

May 14, 2024, 9:35 AM

As Head Coach Swinney pointed out in an article last week, the transfer portal actually improves recruiting conditions for Clemson. As other programs use scholarships for transfers, the Clemson Tigers are able to selectively recruit talent from high schools across the nation. An offer from Clemson, it just means more now that most schools are over-signing classes to err on the side of caution. However, Clemson has stuck to its principles and it’s going to pay off in dividends. NIL deals will improve soon and then Clemson will leave everyone else in the dust.

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

May 14, 2024, 9:42 AM

Canceled just now

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

More baseball scholarships so a push***

May 14, 2024, 9:51 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 14, 2024, 10:25 AM

I would expect to see a reduction in scholarships next. 60-65 scholarships and an increase in scholarships in other sports. It’s just a matter of squeezing football harder.

That would be stupid.

May 14, 2024, 11:09 AM

Football is the big money maker, the most popular, and has the biggest TV viewership and broadcast contracts.

Cutting it back makes zero sense.

Re: That would be stupid.

May 14, 2024, 11:24 AM

Cutting back fb roster numbers means you are paying fewer players out of the 20 million revenue sharing money. Leaves more money for other sports such as baseball which is going to be have more schollies added . It also means you can pay the top players more.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That would be stupid.

May 14, 2024, 11:53 AM

Yep, enhanced revenue sharing was the reason given by the presidents.

May 14, 2024, 12:27 PM

Raider to answer your question Dabo will probably coach another 5-6 years, i would guess by 2029 or 2030 he will be done.

May 14, 2024, 1:02 PM

I think as long as Dabo can get back to winning at a high level and maintain that level of winning, by high level, I mean not only getting in the 12 team playoffs but winning some games, then I think he stays around longer.

I figured it had to be in the works.

May 14, 2024, 12:30 PM

Did not know it was being discussed, as a rule yet. But I figured it had to be in the works. I was discussing this issue with friends last week. Schools that have deep pockets, what is to prevent them from offering a 150 kids NIL deals that would cover the cost of college anyway. Just circumvent the scholarship limit by offering NIL deals that cover the cost of a scholarship to kids that you dont have on scholarship. Buy all the talent.

It made me think of that part in Rudy where the assistant coach was telling the walk-ons that they have more kids on scholarship that can actually dress for the games. So the chance of a walk on making the field was next to impossible. I think that was why 85 scholarships was put in place to begin with. To keep the rich schools from buying all of the talent and build some parity.

With NIL becoming what it is, I figured there had to be an eventual check on how many kids you can have on the team to start the year. From other responses there does seem to be an economic reason for this. But again, there is going to have to be some rules put in place to create a level playing field.

Re: I figured it had to be in the works.

May 14, 2024, 1:26 PM

I would imagine that if Dabo can get good QB play ( not even great) andanges to win another title in the next couple of years, he will hang it up and go try to mentor young men some other way.
Three titles puts him in some very elite company.

May 14, 2024, 1:11 PM

yep. It is inevitible in a professional sport that they will elinimate the amateurs. right now there is still no limit to the number of players a team can have. Only limits on scholarship players, but team size limits are coming. You can count on it.

What I would like is a rule that made players choose between a scholarship or NIL. If you get NIL money then you don't get a scholarship. In fact I would like to see scholarships limited to academically qualified players and maintained by a gradepoint average.

Dabo has 100 million reasons to get over it.

May 14, 2024, 1:24 PM

While I certainly want him to remain our coach, it's his job to adapt and adjust to the changes that are taking place. If he isn't willing or able to do that, then perhaps he should find something else to do.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Dabo has 100 million reasons to get over it.

May 14, 2024, 2:18 PM

Many say Dabo needs to adapt. But how much is adapting and how much is compromise? I think he is only willing to adapt to a certain point before he sees it as compromise.

I don't think he's one to compromise if he thinks it goes against his core beliefs. It's not like the 70's when we were transitioning from the wishbone to the veer option. This is a major paradigm shift in college football.

That would be a complete travesty

May 14, 2024, 1:36 PM

It is apparent that a complete reform of college athletics is needed

And the NCAA should be disbanded and a new organization created in its place

Replies: 23
| visibility 1,501
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic