Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Big time question: If, in fact we are going to have college players signing
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 751

Big time question: If, in fact we are going to have college players signing

Mar 27, 2024, 5:32 PM

contracts as unionized employees, which is where it seems the courts are heading us: Does that put the kibosh on these huge NIL deals? If I were the University, and these players have forced me to pay them wages, insurance, Workmans Compensation, all that, have to deal with player unions, etc, then I would consider these NIL Collectives and their deals as moonlighting. And as we know, no Employer ANYWHERE wants their employees moonlighting.

Now, the courts have already said that NIL is legal. But, they did NOT say it could not be regulated by contract. I would have contract language written that makes the ACC GOR look like child's play, and impose yearly caps on my employees for such outside deals, if they could not be outlawed altogether.

But, the only way it could work is if EVERYBODY, ALL THE "FOOTBALL" SCHOOLS, had some secret collusion meeting where they agreed on that. All it would take is one greedy Jimbo Fisher type to screw the whole thing.

And let me make myself clear. I am not against kids making money. I AM against kids making totally unregulated, free agent, jump from school to school at the highest bidder money. That is an unsustainable model, and it IS going to lead to something just like what I have put out above. If it doesn't, college football is dead in another five OR LESS years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Big time question: If, in fact we are going to have college players signing

Mar 27, 2024, 5:35 PM

I don't think it would kill the NIL deals. NFL players still get NIL endorsements. No way a collective would agree to college players not being able to get them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Economics will eventually kill them, along with all of college football, if some

Mar 27, 2024, 5:38 PM

method of regulation is not implemented. There is a reason the pro sports have salary caps. They sink their money into pay for play. Sure, there are exceptional athletes that make separate bank on endorsements, always will be. But, that is NOT a primary driving force in players moving from team to team, like it has become in college.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Economics will eventually kill them, along with all of college football, if some

Mar 27, 2024, 5:47 PM

There's nothing as of yet to suggest that NIL will be killed by economics. If businesses want to use a player for their commercials/promotions then they are now free to do so. That is a good thing. If I'm a business owner in Clemson, I'd rather have a Clemson player promoting my business than a random actor. It makes more economic sense to keep NIL.

For now, NIL is the only source of "income" for players (excluding standard tuition, room and board). So for those seeking financial gain in college, it is the only driving force available. Once we have salaried players, a player won't have to find the biggest NIL collective to make money, he will have a guaranteed income wherever he signs.

I don't think that puts the NIL Genie back in the bottle. I wish it did. These

Mar 27, 2024, 5:54 PM

are 18-22 year old kids. They are going to want to still have their cake, and eat it too. Huge negotiated salaries from Universities, AND unregulated huge NIL deals to go along with it. It will be the same box schools are in right now, as far as keeping players, only now, the coffers of the Athletic Departments will be getting drained, along with the Collectives deep pockets.

This is just another reason the huge, and ever increasing financial disparity between the ACC and the SEC and BIG is going to eventually doom the ACC schools. That extra money to pay for all these changes has to come from SOMEWHERE.

Mar 27, 2024, 5:51 PM

The courts have already said that collusion is breaking a law from the 1800s. That is what has the whole NCAA in trouble with the courts.

Justice Kavanaugh said the NCAA is colluding to not pay the players anything and that is against the law.

Pro players sign endorsement deals all the time.

Mar 27, 2024, 6:37 PM

The NFL and NBA doesn't try to limit outside income for athletes.

Pat Mahomes, Aaron Rogers, Steph Curry, et. al. all make megabucks outside of their contracts with the team.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its all totally ridiculous!***

Mar 27, 2024, 6:37 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 27, 2024, 6:40 PM

There is no way you can prevent NIL just because the individual becomes an “employee”.

Mar 27, 2024, 9:42 PM

76er, you are way over thinking a simple idea. Athletes, not just football players, are allowed to earn money and just like every other worker are open to accepting the highest offer. This is just simply business not some crime.

Athletes that are under CONTRACT (which is now Pros, may soon be college) are

Mar 28, 2024, 7:49 AM

NOT allowed to simply accept a higher offer and walk away from their former team, until that contract is up, or until the team they signed with releases them from it.

The only way some form of stability is going to be re-established in college football is to go to that model, since the schools have chosen to take out the NCAA in the courts. Now, the NCAA is really not that defensible, they dragged their feet on paying players ANY amounts of money. But, the SCHOOLS have opened this Pandora's Box, and MOST are going to suffer as a result. The rich really WILL get richer, and the poor will get poorer, at a much accelerated rate.

Replies: 10
| visibility 751
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic